Breville BES920XL Semi Automatic Espresso Machine – Product Description
- The dual boiler design allows you to pull a shot and to froth some milk at the same time.
- The optimal brewing temperature is controlled by a PID. The temperature is maintained constant throughout the brewing.
- That optimal brewing temperature can be tweaked to your liking with .
- User programmable pre-infusion, to allow uniform pulling, and avoid channeling.
- The pressure is controlled with an OPV, (over-pressure valve).
- The backlit LCD can display great information about your shot: the brewing temperature, and the duration of the pulled shot.
BDB ergonomics are outstanding. There’s a remarkable attention to detail at all levels. For example, rather than legs, the espresso machine sits on wheels that are retracted. Under the drip tray is a lever which allows you to lock the front wheels up, or so the machine stays in place. For modest adjustments, tip the machine back somewhat, and you will roll it to the rear wheels. Little touches like this make a huge difference in user friendliness.
Unlike most espresso machines, the BDB offers the capability to readily drain the boilers. It is a terrific attribute for shipping and descaling. At the lower right of the front panel are just two screws (usually hidden under a rubber cover) which, when loosened, drain the boilers into the drip tray. Kudos to Breville for executing a feature that actually should be available on all espresso machines.
- OPV (Around Pressure Valve) regulates extraction pressure.
- Dual stainless steel boilers.
- Pressure gauge, LED screen displays brew shot timer, temperature or clock.
- Electronic PID temperature control which gives you precise water temperature and maintains thermal stability.
- Descale feature for simple and quick at home machine cleaning as well as care.
- Adjustable steam boiler temperature control: this allows for better milk texturing and steaming.
- Pre set and re- shot that is programmable volume and temperature.
- Built-in 58 mm tamper, hot water dispenser, swivel stainless steel frothing wand.
- Razor Dose trimming tool – an accessory that allows you to trim your coffee dose to perfect precision for the best espresso shot extraction.
- Front water tank window for simple monitoring. 2.5L water tank capacity.
- Shot duration control: by dialing in the time you can control the exact time of the shot extraction.
Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine – Video Review
Why Is the Breville BES920XL Great?
The Breville BES920XL Dual Boiler offers performance and commercial features, in a small footprint. Espresso perfection requires precision temperature and pressure control every time.
At the heart of this machine is its double stainless steel boiler heating system. In order to extract your shot you need the perfect brewing temperature. The brewing temperature is ensured in the boiler, and the boiler needs time to adjust its temperature. For single boiler machines, it takes a few minutes to adjust the temperature between steaming and brewing, since the two temperatures are different. With a dual boiler you can steam and brew simultaneously, since the temperature is very easy to maintain per each boiler.
The other component in the group head, that ensures a consistent brew is the Over Pressure Valve (OPV) which limits the maximum pressure through the extraction. This in turn will prevent bitter flavors in the shot.
The BES920XL also offers a true low pressure pre-infusion, which gradually raises the pressure to softly expand the grinds for an even extraction.
There is considerably more to this machine for the coffee geek, but it is also very simple to use, with user friendly features. The pressure gauge, and the shot clock will help you enhance your barista skills over time. The new Dual Boiler now comprises a descaling function for cleaning at home. There is also a Razor Dosing Tool for precision dosing and consistent extraction, this is very useful for beginners, because it allows them to dose perfectly without having to perform the complicated Stockfleths move. JCheck this article for more tips on perfect tamping.
The 2 year limited warranty offers you peace of mind. All you will need are a bit of practice, patience, and fresh, good quality coffee beans, and you will be able to rival the very best baristas.
Main Features of the Breville BES920XL
- Dual stainless steel boilers allow steaming milk and pulling shots without waiting for temperature adjustment
- Precise water temperature with an Electronic PID temperature control
- Dual Italian pumps for simultaneous milk steaming and espresso brewing
- Over-Pressure Valve (OPV) to limit extraction pressure
- Backlit LCD displays brew temperature shot clock or time
- Includes water hardness test strip, descale alert and LCD assisted descale procedure